Plum Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Crispy Bacon


I like weird combinations.  I think that plums on your pizza would qualify for that combo.  I recently came across an article in Parents magazine, that suggested making dinner choices with fruit instead of vegetables as an alternative for those with picky eaters.  When analyzing the antioxidant levels of different kinds of produce, the highest levels are actually found in fruit.  I wasn't allowed to be a picky eater as a child, my Dad was the king of making us eat everything we were served.  Sorry Dad! :)  While I might have been less than enthused as a child, I am now able to enjoy almost everything.  I did not get so lucky on the adventuresome eater husband train though.  Mine is decidedly picky, but at least he will try most things once. 
  
In the same Parents magazine I saw a recipe for pizza topped with plums and feta cheese, and it caught my eye.  I decided to try my own version with what I had on hand, and came up with this Plum Pizza with Caramelized Onions & Crispy Bacon.  I was going completely on faith with this one.  With no idea how it would turn out, I was greatly surprised when it tasted fantastic.  I didn't have any pizza dough on hand, so I just used some homemade whole wheat flax tortillas, which was quicker for lunch anyway.  The pizza was baked on my pizza stone to get it nice and crispy, which is a must for me, I hate soggy pizza crust.  After it came out of the oven, the final touch was to drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar over the toppings.  Mmmm, it was tasty.

Of course, I had to make a plain cheese and bacon one for the finicky eater.


Boring, but still good :)

Plum Pizza


1 Tortillas (homemade or store bought)
Shredded mozzarella
1 ripe plum, sliced
1 onion, sliced and caramelized
2 pieces of bacon, cooked crisp
Dried oregano
Salt, to taste
Balsamic Vinegar, to taste (optional)

For the onions:  In a large heavy bottom pan, add some olive oil to cover the bottom and about 1 teaspoon of butter.  When butter is simmering, add the sliced onions and stir to coat.  Cook on medium high for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.  Lower heat and continue to cook for about another 10 mins, stirring just when the onions start to stick to the pan, but not burn.  If you stir too often the onions will not brown.  You can add some sugar if needed to help the onions caramelize. When the onions are a deep caramel color, remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees, if using a pizza stone put it in now to warm up.  Place one tortilla on the pizza stone or cookie sheet, with no toppings, for 4-5 minutes.  This will make sure the crust is crispy.  Remove tortilla from the oven.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, then arrange sliced plums on top.  Place onions and crumbled bacon on top of the plums, then sprinkle with some dried oregano and sea salt.  Place pizza in oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden.  Remove from oven and let cool.  If desired, garnish with some freshly grated Parmesan and a few drops of balsamic vinegar.

Using the tortilla crust is quick and easy, and using a traditional thin crust pizza dough would be even better.  I will try that next time when I have more time.




(Inspired by Fruit Pizza, Parents Magazine, August 2010)


No comments:






Connect With Me

PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket photo RSSFeed_zps90418ae0.png

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Followers

Blog Archive

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Manage your shopping list and search for recipes from across the web at ZipList.com

Foodgawker Gallery

my foodgawker gallery


My featured recipes on NoshOnIt

SprinkledwithFlour Featured On:

FoodGawker

TasteSpotting


Photograzing

Tasteologie

Tasty Kitchen

Nosh On It

Huffington Post




Copyright

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
SprinkledwithFlour, 2010-present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Amber and SprinkledwithFlour with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.




Content © 2010
Blog design by Splendid Sparrow